By default the PC version of the game requires that your monitor supports 60Hz in order to play in fullscreen mode. If it does not, the game will play in windowed mode only. In the latest update (August 13, 2013), there is a work-around for people whose monitors either don't support 60Hz, or would prefer to play at other refresh rates for other reasons (eg. users of CRT monitors).
Changing your refresh rate:
- The format of the graphics.ini file has changed slightly, to refresh it, load the game, go into Settings, press Accept, and then exit the game.
- Open graphics.ini, it should be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mark_of_the_ninja\users (depending on where you installed the game.)
- Find the line RefreshRate=60 and change it to the desired refresh rate, eg. RefreshRate=75 and save the file. You must enter a refresh rate supported by your monitor, otherwise the game will not allow switching to full screen.
- Load the game and go into Settings. Provided that you've entered a supported refresh rate, you should now be able to enable the Fullscreen option and choose an appropriate full screen resolution.
How do I find supported refresh rates?
If you aren't sure exactly which refresh rates your monitor does support, you can enable logging, and check the log to see which resolutions the game is able to detect.
- Go to your Steam Library
- Right click on "Mark of the Ninja"
- Select "Properties"
- Select "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."
- Type in "-enablelog" without the quotes
- Click "OK"
- Launch Mark of the Ninja
You should now have a variety of log files in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mark_of_the_ninja\log
Open aggregate.log and about 50 lines down you should see a large list of lines like this:
[13:52.25] (6840) Adapter Mode: 1920x1080 @ 60, pixfmt 3[0x00000016]
[13:52.25] (6840) Adapter Mode: 1920x1080 @ 50, pixfmt 3[0x00000016]
[13:52.25] (6840) Adapter Mode: 1920x1080 @ 59, pixfmt 3[0x00000016]
[13:52.25] (6840) Adapter Mode: 640x480 @ 60, pixfmt 3[0x00000016]
[13:52.25] (6840) Adapter Mode: 640x480 @ 72, pixfmt 3[0x00000016]
[13:52.25] (6840) Adapter Mode: 640x480 @ 75, pixfmt 3[0x00000016]
These are the resolutions that the game has detected your monitor supports. The number after the @ symbol is the refresh rate. Based on the output above, I should be able to set my RefreshRate setting in graphics.ini to 50, 59, 60, 72 or 75. The settings available to you will be different, and only certain resolutions may be supported at specific refresh rates.