The Steam version of Don't Starve updates automatically whenever you're signed in to your Steam Client.
If your game does not update automatically, you will have to set it to do so in "Properties."
To do that:
- Right-click Don't Starve in your Steam Game Library and choose Properties;
- Click on the UPDATES tab and set automatic updates to: "Always keep this game up to date"
- Close the window, restart Steam and it should automatically update your game to the latest version.
There are two ways to update your Standalone client. First is the automatic update which asks you to enter your game key (once) for it to automatically update your game every time you run it. If your updater does not open-up whenever you run Don't Starve, you'll have to delete the "updater.json" file and reset your updater settings.
To Do that:
- Go into your Documents folder, you should find a folder in there named "Klei"
- In there will be another folder named "DoNotStarve", double-click that folder
- Within "DoNotStarve" will be a file called "updater.json"; Delete that file.
After that, the updater will pop up again for you next time you play the game. Just remember to input your game key in the updater and it should work for you.
The other way to update your game is to manually update it using your "updater.exe" file, located within your game files. For example: Local Disk (C:) > Program Files (x86) > DontStarve > updater > 18 > updater.exe