If you are encountering an error similar to "Unable to write to config directory. Please make sure you have permissions for your Klei save folder."
Generally, this error message shows up because something on the computer is blocking the game (or the Steam client) from being able to read/write/access your hard drive, specifically the Documents folder Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\ where important game save and server files are located.
IMPORTANT: Before doing any of the troubleshooting steps listed below, please ensure that your Windows user account profile has the proper administrative privilege/permissions to run programs, create and save/overwrite files on your hard drive.
1) Run the Steam client as an Administrator
- Fully close out of Steam and restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, right-click on the Steam icon > select "Run as Administrator"
- If that does not work, go to step #2.
2) Run Don't Starve Together as an Administrator
- Run Don't Starve Together dontstarve_steam.exe as an administrator in your game folders (Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin\dontstarve_steam.exe)
- Right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator"
If Steps #1 and Step #2 do not help with the issue, try Step #3, #4, and #5 and these should be able to help resolve the issue.
3) Check your Anti-virus, anti-malware, Firewall, and security settings
- Depending on your firewall, security, and antivirus settings, occasionally it may block a program that you want to access. Ensure that your firewall, security settings, and other antivirus software is allowing the game to do so. You can find more information here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289
- You can also ensure that Don't Starve Together and your Steam client have both been added to your security software's allowed/trusted programs list.
4) Check for any conflicting 3rd-party software
- Pop-up blockers, ad-blockers, and other types of software running in the background can sometimes cause problems. Turn off anything you have running in the background then try running the game again.
5) Check to see if there are any new updates for your Windows operating system
- Ensure that your Windows operating system has been updated to the latest version: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4027667/windows-10-update
If all of the above troubleshooting steps fail, try creating another save directory, separate from your current one (say somewhere else such as c:\DontStarveTogether) and then launch the game with that as the save directory:
- In steam right-click the game in your library
- Select ‘properties’
- Click ‘Set launch options’
- Enter ‘-persistent_storage_root c:\DontStarveTogether’ (without the quotes)
- Close dialog.
- And the next one
- Launch the game.
Should you continue to encounter the issue, please post your issue as well as your log.txt file in our Don't Starve Together Bug Tracker.