If you are encountering an error similar to "Unable to write to files in the config directory. Please make sure you have permissions for your Klei save folder."
Generally, this error message shows up because something on the computer is blocking the game (or the Steam client) from being able to read/write/access your hard drive, specifically the Documents folder Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\ where important game save and server files are located.
IMPORTANT: Before doing any of the troubleshooting steps listed below, please ensure that your Windows user account profile has the proper administrative privilege/permissions to run programs, create and save/overwrite files on your hard drive.
1) Run the Steam client as an Administrator
- Fully close out of Steam and restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, right-click on the Steam icon > select "Run as Administrator"
- If that does not work, go to step #2.
2) Run Don't Starve Together as an Administrator
- Run Don't Starve Together dontstarve_steam.exe as an administrator in your game folders (Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin\dontstarve_steam.exe)
- Right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator"
If Steps #1 and Step #2 do not help with the issue, try Step #3, #4, #5, and #6 and these should be able to help resolve the issue.
3) Check your Anti-virus, anti-malware, Firewall, Windows Ransomware Protection and security settings
- Depending on your firewall, security, and antivirus settings, occasionally it may block a program that you want to access. Ensure that your firewall, security settings, and other antivirus software is allowing the game to do so. You can find more information here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289
- You can also ensure that Don't Starve Together and your Steam client have both been added to your security software's and Windows Security's allowed/trusted programs list.
4) Check for any conflicting 3rd-party software
- Pop-up blockers, ad-blockers, and other types of software running in the background can sometimes cause problems. Turn off anything you have running in the background then try running the game again.
5) Check to see if there are any new updates for your Windows operating system
- Ensure that your Windows operating system has been updated to the latest version: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4027667/windows-10-update
6) Controlled Folder Access
If you currently have Windows Ransomware Protection enabled, it may block the game from being able to access, read, or write files on the hard drive. If that is the case, you will need to allow/add the game’s .exe file (dontstarve_steam.exe) through Controlled Folder Access, in order for the game to be able to do so.
Here’s how to do this:
- Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection;In Virus & threat protection, scroll down to Ransomware Protection, click on “Manage ransomware protection”
- Check to see if Controlled folder access is ON, if it is, click on “Allow an App through Controlled folder access”
- Click on + Add an allowed app > choose “Recently Blocked Apps” if Don't Starve Together was blocked previously or “Browse All Apps” and manually add Don't Starve Together. Each of these options will add dontstarve_steam.exe to the controlled folder access. If you are not sure where the file is located, generally it is within your Steam folders at \steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\
- Once added, launch Don't Starve Together once more.
7) Create a new save directory folder for the game
If all of the above troubleshooting steps fail, try creating another save directory, separate from your current one (say somewhere else such as c:\DontStarveTogether) and then launch the game with that as the save directory:
- In steam right-click the game in your library
- Select ‘properties’
- Click ‘Set launch options’
- Enter ‘-persistent_storage_root c:\DontStarveTogether’ (without the quotes)
- Close dialog.
- And the next one
- Launch the game.
Should you continue to encounter the issue, please post your issue as well as your log.txt file in our Don't Starve Together Bug Tracker.